As with most taxes prescribed by the State of Nevada, the taxpayer has certain rights to fair treatment and a course of action for appealing any action he or she believes is unfair or inequitable. These rights are listed in NRS 375.240.
Recorder’s Office Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights
Each and every Taxpayer has the right:
- To be treated with courtesy and respect;
- To be treated fairly and equitably;
- To be provided information on services and benefits for which they might be qualified;
- To have their opinion heard;
- To be fully and factually informed;
- To be directed to the appropriate department or individual;
- To know how their property is being taxed for Real Property Transfer Tax;
- To appeal their Real Property Transfer Tax informally or formally;
- To expect to leave the Recorder’s Office feeling as though they were served in a competent and professional manner.
Real Property Transfer Tax
Real Property Transfer Tax (RPTT) is a tax collected when an interest in real property is conveyed (NRS 375). It is collected by the County Recorder at the time of recording. A Declaration of Value form is required to be completed so the tax can be calculated. The tax rate is calculated at $3.90 per one thousand dollar value of the property being transferred. The basis for this tax is the actual selling price or the estimated market value. There are several reasons for exemption from this tax. for questions about RPTT, please call the County Recorders Office at 775-962-5495.
- A mere change in identity, form or place of organization, such as a transfer between a corporation and its parent corporation, a subsidiary or an affiliated corporation if the affiliated corporation has identical common ownership.
- A transfer of title to the United States, any territory or state or any agency, department, instrumentality or political subdivision thereof.
- A transfer of title recognizing the true status of ownership of the real property.
- A transfer of title without consideration from one joint tenant or tenant in common to one or more remaining joint tenants or tenants in common.
- A transfer, assignment or other conveyance or real property if the owner of the property is related to the person to whom it is conveyed within the first degree of lineal consanguinity or affinity.
- A transfer of title between former spouses in compliance with a decree of divorce.
- A transfer of title to or from a trust without consideration if a certificate of trust is presented at the time of the transfer.
- A transfer, assignment or conveyance of unpatented mines or mining claims.
- A transfer, assignment or other conveyance of real property to a corporation or other business organization if the person conveying the property owns 100% of the corporation or organization to which the conveyance is made.
- A conveyance of real property by deed which becomes effective upon the death of the grantor pursuant to NRS 111.109.
- The making, delivery, or filing of conveyances of real property to make effective any plan of reorganization or adjustment:
- Confirmed under the Bankruptcy Act, as amended, 11 U.S.C. 101 et. esq.; the order specifies and itemizes the property which is ordered to be transferred or conveyed; and
- Approved in an equity receivership proceeding involving a railroad, as defined in the Bankruptcy Act; or
- Approved in an equity receivership proceeding involving a corporation, as defined in the Bankruptcy Act, if the making, delivery or filing of instruments of transfer or conveyance occurs within 5 years after the confirmation, approval, or change.
- The making or delivery of conveyances or real property to make effective any order of the Securities and Exchange Commission if:
- The order of the Securities and Exchange Commission in obedience to which the transfer or conveyance is made recites that the transfer or conveyance is necessary or appropriate to effectuate the provisions of section 11 of the Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935, 15 U.S.C. 79k;
- The order specifies and itemized the property which is ordered to be transferred or conveyed; and
- The transfer or conveyance is made in obedience to the order.
- A transfer to an educational foundation. As used in this subsection, “educational foundation” has the meaning ascribed to it in subsection 3 of NRS 388.750.
- A transfer to a university foundation. as used in this subsection, “educational foundation” has the meaning ascribed to it in subsection 3 of NRS 396.405.
Real Property Distribution Table – All Counties except Churchill, Clark and Washoe. (Please note: this is a scanned pdf file. As such, it does not comply with Handicapped Accessibility Law and standards. If you wish an html [web version] of this table, please contact the webmaster.)
NRS 375.090 – Exemptions to Real Property Transfer Tax